PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Small/Medium Business Scanner

From: Dark Harper <darkharper2 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 15:00:07 +0000

Hi all,

This ones probably been around and around a dozen times but I'm after some
advice/recommendations on a vulnerability scanner for a small to medium
sized business.

My short list is now down to two - Nessus or NeXpose.

Our environment is spread across three sites, around 50 nodes in each.  The
sites are not permanently linked.  One of those sites is PCI DSS compliant.
I've been using OpenVAS but am not a fan.  Access to remote scanners is via
SSH tunnels/small links.

Cost is definitely a consideration as budget is tight this year.  I'm
leaning towards Nessus as it is miles cheaper than NeXpose and requires much
lower spec hardware from what I can tell. Recent Metasploit plugin is also a
plus. Can anyone say why I would put up the extra cash for NeXpose?

-Dark