PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Small/Medium Business Scanner

From: Paul Asadoorian <paul () pauldotcom com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 13:30:10 -0500

Everyone has done a great job of "evangelizing" Nessus, so stop that or
I will be out of a job ;)

I will preface this by saying that if you use a product you are happy
with I will not pass judgment or try to convince you to use something
else.  If it works for you, that's awesome!

Of course I am biased towards Nessus, but just a few things to throw in
the mix when looking at features:

- Local Patch Checking will look at operating system and application
vulnerabilities on many different platforms, Windows, UNIX (HP,
Solaris), Linux (Too many distros to list), Mac OS X, and VMware ESX.
You need to log into the OS to do this, and we support SSH (several
different methods), and SMVB on Windows.  Several protections exist to
thwart any attempts to steal credentials.

- A single scanner costs $1200 per year, and you can scan as many
different IP addresses as you like, no limits.

- I've got Nessus installed on all kinds of different systems, mostly
old and slow machines because that's what I have laying around, or in a
VM on a laptop. It performs really well, and you can scan A LOT of
hosts, especially if you tune the policy. It comes down to this
question: "Does it matter how long it takes to scan your network?".  So,
if you have 150 hosts, and it takes a day to scan all of them, is that
acceptable?  Also, how long it takes to scan is dependent on too many
factors to list here :)

- John mentioned common misnomer "Nessus does not do DB, network device
or application level checks." - As John already knows, We support
configuration auditing for all major databases, Cisco IOS, and many
applications such as Apache, PHP, IIS, and more!  Configuration auditing
allows you to define what settings should exist in your systems and
configuration, then check for it using simple regex.

There is actually a post that will publish tomorrow morning on the
Tenable Blog (http://blog.tenable.com) that covers some of the myths
surrounding Nessus.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Cheers,