PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: FBI accused of planting backdoor in OpenBSD IPSEC stack

From: Mike Patterson <mike () snowcrash ca>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 13:05:45 -0500

On 2010/12/15 12:20 PM, Dan McGinn-Combs wrote:
Sorry - didn't really intend this to be flame-bait (or any other kind).

Oh, I know.  And I didn't intend to flame you.  :)

I do have to hang my head in shame... I used OpenBSD for several years
because the system inter-operated so well with Check Point's VPN
feature. I only once looked over the source code, and it was a cursory
review at that. I wonder if Check Point lifted the code intact.
Perhaps I should have grep'ed for "FBI". Or perhaps "Mossad".

Why on earth would you be ashamed of that?  Have you read gmail's source
code?  Who has the time to review all source code for all versions of
any software they've ever used?  At a certain point you need to trust.

I think the FBI has a bit more sense than to put their name right in
though.  Try GCJ next time.  :-)

Mike