PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Computer Lab in a Jail...

From: Brian H <binarynomad () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 11:31:23 -0700

@Dale: Sadly, one of the requirements for the class is the Microsoft IC3 certification which is highly dependent on a
Windows OS.  One of the modules was even complaining that it didn’t' like IE 8 and wanted IE 6 with ActiveX fully open.
 *sigh*

@Carlos: VDI sounds like a possibility, but there was no hardware for a server to be setup and the whole possibility of
communication between gang members was high enough that they wanted the network down.

@Andrew: Yeah, I had Zero "$0" budget so implementing anything non-free was out of the question.  I believe the old
user ID's were "Standard" but either they got the admin password from the pervious IT person, or they esclated their
privileges somehow.  I locked them down the best I could.  I did go through and pull the product keys using a USB drive
with an autorun calling "produkey.exe" and outputting the data to a CSV on the USB drive.  Sadly the switches your run
of the mill Desktop Netgear FS116.  No management.

@Bugbear: Yeah, I notice SteadyState had falled off of MS development list. (that really saddens me, it is a VERY
useful product for public usage like coffee shops, churches, schools, libraries, ... prisons).  Thankfully the software
will continue to work, you just cannot find any support for it.  I hope MS is smart/nice enough to deploy a better
replacement instead of either (a) putting out a commercial product (most of the people that can use this are budget
strapped), or (b) stepping aside for other commercial vendors to take over the space.

@Jeremy: It would be nice, but (a) they barely had enough money to pay me to refresh the lab, (b) I don't know how many
class semesters these machines went through, and (c) a corrupt IT admin, it don't think I can find a traceable audit
trail.

@Xgerms: Needed to be Windows.  (a) IC3 is Microsoft specific, (b) it utilized the specific menu options of Microsoft
Office suite in its tutorials, (c) I could not teach the instructor some level of familiarity with Linux in the 1-2
hours I had to actually see/talk to him.

----
Brian H
binarynomad () gmail com
http://www.binarynomad.com