PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Drop or rst?

From: nickd at funkyjesus.org (Nick Drage)
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 10:57:10 +0100

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 10:17:01AM -0400, Jody & Jennifer McCluggage wrote:

I may be in the minority here, but I do see a real value in "security
by obscurity" as part of a layered defense. I think it has been
drummed into us for so long as being bad or worthless that many of us
believe it.

You certainly do not want to rely on it as your primary defense.  True
simply changing the default SSH port or the Administrator name will
not in itself stop a determined attacker but it will frustrate a lot
of default automated attacks that are just looking for low hanging
fruit.

Absolutely, there's a *huge* difference between "security through
obscurity" and "increased security through obscurity", and constantly
surprised at how many people miss this.

--
"You can get more with a kind word and a gun
 than you can get with just a kind word."