PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Drop or rst?

From: mick at pauldotcom.com (Michael Douglas)
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 23:46:18 -0400

<sarcasm>
Also if you drop packets instead of sending the RST, you're saving
power.  Since I get all the trade rags, I know green data centers are
all the rage.  Every electron not sent down the wire is one less polar
bear that has to tread water.  Dropping packets saves Mother Earth!
</sarcasm>

Dropping is so much better because while you don't want to do the
"security by obscurity" thing, you certainly don't want to make things
easier for the bad guys.   As others have said giving RSTs makes it
crystal clear what systems are around, and what ports are open.

If you do have to go the RST route for troubleshooting, see if you can
enable RST response for only specific IPs or ranges.  If that doesn't
or can't fly (and on internet facing systems you might not want to
enable RST even for a little while - though western civilization
likely wouldn't end if you had to for a while), you can always tune
nmap to assume a port is closed faster

Try using the --host-timeout option!  (one of the least used sadly)
It takes arguments like so: 300000 or 300s or 5m.   In your case,
you'll want to use miliseconds (Hint: no letter after the time value)
To get the "right" value, you'll need to do testing on how quickly an
open port responds and then give it some extra time -- i give anywhere
from 25% - 50% more time...

ex: I know open port respond on a system respond on average around 130
milliseconds I might give nmap the following:
--host-timeout 195

WARNING: setting your --host-timeout too low could result in nmap
claiming a port is closed when it isn't.  So you want to be on a low
jitter, repeatable latency network link when doing this sort of stuff.

For further ways to tune your nmap experience, you're likely not going
to find a better writeup than here:
http://nmap.org/book/man-performance.html

Sorry to thread jack this a bit into arcane nmap stuffs, but hey, nmap is fun!

Best of luck!
- Mick