PaulDotCom mailing list archives

How do they know??

From: nberthaume at gmail.com (Nicholas B.)
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 14:51:24 -0400

Lawyers can be ninjas now?!?  Makes me glad to be a pirate.

On 10/14/09, PJ McGarvey <pj_mcgarvey at hotmail.com> wrote:

Judging by the efforts they made to ensure the break-in wasn't made public,
it would be obvious to me that they would make that claim.  The article
doesn't state that "no customer data was stolen" was a direct quote from
Walmart.  As their assessment was probably made on early evidence, and that
evidence indicated that the attackers were after company secrets, not
customer data, it probably suited their ninja lawyers just fine.

Maybe the attackers went after the secrets b/c they couldn't get to the
recently encrypted data...

Or maybe they just wanted more data, however they had some serious cajones
to try and reconnect 2 more times using other VPN accounts once they were
stopped, whether they were in a foreign country or not... you'd think they
would've just given up assuming they already had customer data ready to sell
on the black market.

-PJ