PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Alternative DNS Servers

From: kpo.mail.list at gmail.com (Kyle Osborn)
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 10:10:12 -0700

I'll use 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.4 when I'm in quick need of DNS. No issues.
(And no one has yet advised against it.)

Kyle Osborn
Sent from my mobile

On Jul 29, 2009, at 9:35 AM, PJ McGarvey <pj_mcgarvey at hotmail.com>
wrote:

My home network is setup to use OpenDNS for some time now, and with
3 laptops and 2 iphones in the house using the wifi, the speed is
great... A little better than my Verizon ISP's performance, but the
added security benefit is nice too.

Now If I could only figure out how to use OpenDNS over 3g on my
iphone... as AT&T/3G performance for me (especially lately) has been
awful - though it probably can't be totally blamed on DNS... AT&T
just has their head up their @$$

Has anyone experimented with VPN'ing into their home network from
their smartphones and tunelling all their data that way - thereby
benefiting from any add'l security/performance/etc type things on
their home network?  Right now the iphone only supports pptp/l2tp/
ipsec

-PJ

I generally use DNS for all my home networks. I was curious if there
was anything else someone on the list would recommend. So what do
you
guys use?

I see a huge boost over my ISPs performance, and when something
doesn't get resolved, it doesn't take forever to load with OpenDNS
as
opposed to my ISP.

D.