PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Alternative DNS Servers

From: pj_mcgarvey at hotmail.com (PJ McGarvey)
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 12:35:57 -0400

My home network is setup to use OpenDNS for some time now, and with 3 laptops and 2 iphones in the house using the
wifi, the speed is great... A little better than my Verizon ISP's performance, but the added security benefit is nice
too.

Now If I could only figure out how to use OpenDNS over 3g on my iphone... as AT&T/3G performance for me (especially
lately) has been awful - though it probably can't be totally blamed on DNS... AT&T just has their head up their @$$

Has anyone experimented with VPN'ing into their home network from their smartphones and tunelling all their data that
way - thereby benefiting from any add'l security/performance/etc type things on their home network?  Right now the
iphone only supports pptp/l2tp/ipsec

-PJ

I generally use DNS for all my home networks. I was curious if there
was anything else someone on the list would recommend. So what do you
guys use?

I see a huge boost over my ISPs performance, and when something
doesn't get resolved, it doesn't take forever to load with OpenDNS as
opposed to my ISP.

D.