PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Alternative DNS Servers

From: russo091 at gmail.com (Dmitry Nedospasov)
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 19:20:08 +0200

If you jailbreak yours, you could just edit /etc/resolv.conf or /tmp/
resolv.conf, whichever one it is

D.

On Jul 29, 2009, at 18:35 , PJ McGarvey wrote:

My home network is setup to use OpenDNS for some time now, and with
3 laptops and 2 iphones in the house using the wifi, the speed is
great... A little better than my Verizon ISP's performance, but the
added security benefit is nice too.

Now If I could only figure out how to use OpenDNS over 3g on my
iphone... as AT&T/3G performance for me (especially lately) has been
awful - though it probably can't be totally blamed on DNS... AT&T
just has their head up their @$$

Has anyone experimented with VPN'ing into their home network from
their smartphones and tunelling all their data that way - thereby
benefiting from any add'l security/performance/etc type things on
their home network?  Right now the iphone only supports pptp/l2tp/
ipsec

-PJ

I generally use DNS for all my home networks. I was curious if there
was anything else someone on the list would recommend. So what do
you
guys use?

I see a huge boost over my ISPs performance, and when something
doesn't get resolved, it doesn't take forever to load with OpenDNS
as
opposed to my ISP.

D.