PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Blue Team Tactics

From: trklisted at networksamurai.org (mOses)
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 11:45:00 -0400

For shame for Shame!

    There are definitely 'defensive tools' that are lacking in some of
the CTF games! The attackers are coming into this to 'win' how come
the defenders are not also preparing to win?

- If you know your being attacked from the 'network', how come there
are no sensors involved? Maybe its a time contraint that we don't have
IDS? That is a real life item that should be given to defenders. IDS
an also do some TCP resets and shunning, which can be valuable. While
the attackers can evade IDS this maybe a nice little stop gap. The
question is, can you prepare ahead of time with an IDS sensor? The
'attackers' are preparing ahead of time with their tools?
- Patching is an OK option, but yet again not 100% fool proof right,
Software will be insecure so you can't solely rely on patching.

- Logging and Correlated Logs will be important to a blue team, but if
its not available even a basic BASE console will be enough for IDS
eventing, or maybe the free Splunk platform?

- There are the SysInternal tools. Procmon, Filemon, Regmon.
ProcessExplorer, NetMon.
- What about things like GMER, Rootkit Revealer and other items to
look for the existence of nasties?

- If you are a defender in a game, maybe it would be prudent to setup
tools like 'flow' analysis to look at netflow
- What about leveraging some scripts from NMAP. nmap scan the network
and do diff's. If you see new ports opened or listening, maybe you've
been comprimised!

I love the conversation. The real value in these CTF games and
Pentests is not for the attacker all the time, the real value is in
understanding how to do 'live' defense.