PaulDotCom mailing list archives

home firewall/server

From: gameman.pdcmail at myworkarea.net (gameman733)
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 03:06:03 -0400

Allow me to second the opinion on smoothwall. I just recently installed it
to replace clarkconnect (I use my home network as a testing ground of sorts,
I'm sure I'm far from the only one around here). Leaving out the problems I
had with a broken VM from VMware, Smoothwall had no support for PCMCIA cards
(my firewall/NAT box is a laptop, Compaq Presario v2000 series). This left
me in a predicamate of having to install a thin Debian and use that as a
VMWare server, then installing smoothwall in a VM and bridging the network
connections into the Smoothwall VM. A very messy solution.

However, add to the list that I STILL do not have Snort working and just
recently had to restart smoothwall because it would not forward any ports,
and I am thinking about exploring another option

Because it applies to the original topic, The reason I removed clarkconnect
in the first place was because it seemed like my DSL connection wasn't
running at full speed. Maybe 2.5-2.8 Mbit rather than the actual 3, as well
as some odd drops. Yes I know about the TCP overhead, but there was
instantly a huge difference when I connected a single computer to the dsl
modem. (Side note, our network only truly has 2 computers on it, and the
other one is primarily inactive.)

In the past, I've also used IPCop. It worked pretty well for the most part.
I can't remember exactly why I stopped using it in the first place, but I
recall it might have had something to do with an addon. I have also briefly
used PFsense. The initial install is slightly more difficult than any of the
other firewall distributions, but it seemed pretty stable. I have not had as
much experience with this distribution however, and the install might have
been more due to the fact that I am not as familiar with BSD's.