PaulDotCom mailing list archives

No subject

From: bogus () does not exist com ()
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 23:25:38 -0000

ded
in each economic calculation. In the example of lottery tickets, it's
the fantasy of extreme wealth. Depending on the culture and the
personality, humiliation avoidance carries a high 'X' factor premiu=
m.
Regulatory compliance or contract requirements can be a huge 'X'
factor. Fear can be a huge 'X' factor. Each person has their own &#=
39;X'
factor of concerns. Our job is to identify those concerns, address them
and make appropriate recommendations.<br>
An interesting example is the money and effort spent on preventing
terrorism on airplanes. From a strictly economic perspective, it
doesn&#39;t make sense to put our current safe guards in place. However,
few people would recommend removing the security controls in place when
they are getting ready to board a plane. That&#39;s an &#39;X&#39; factor.<=
br>
I question the probability of an end user having a problem being
slight. When you look at the rapid spread of malware, the growth of
botnets, identity theft and banking trojans, there is a lot going on.
Most end users do not realize the threats that are occurring, or the
actual frequency of the attacks. These are the people we need to
educate.<br>
Can we reach everyone? No. There are *always* irrational people. In my
working life, I&#39;ve encountered several people that simply cannot be
reasoned with for various reasons. When they are &#39;worker bees&#39; they=
 can
be dealt with by management. When they are management, nature seems to
take care of things in due time (and you don&#39;t want to be around when i=
010 at 12:43 PM, Jack Daniel <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jackad=
204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">But that&#39;s th=
e point, the actual risk to the end user is negligible if<br>
you do the math- the costs of being hit are often low, but even if<br>
they were high, the chance of compromise is so low that the<br>
distributed risk risk is still negligible. =A0If the aggregated risk is<br>
low per user, then it is economically irrational to take extra<br>
measures to protect yourself.<br>
And- it is not their fault. =A0They are expected to use fundamentally<br>
insecure (and largely unsecurable, practically speaking) systems, and<br>
&quot;being secure&quot; is not their job, their job is to<br>
produce/sell/whatever.<br>
Jack<br>
On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 12:49 PM, =A0&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:d4ncingd4n at gmail=
.com">d4ncingd4n at gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; I think it also helps to explain the personal risk to them. If their c=
omputer is used to host kiddie porn they would have to deal with the *embar=
rassment* and the risk of being wrongly convicted could destroy their lives=
 personally and professionally. Identity theft can be inconvenient even if =
you have protection. If your company has their ACH account hit for hundreds=
 of thousands of dollars due to THEIR pc having Zeus or Clampi and the comp=
any folds, you will lose your job.<br>

&gt;<br>
&gt; FUD? I don&#39;t think so. You just have to find a way to make it real=
 to them instead of something you see in the movies or the self-important d=
elusions of paranoid nerds. (which is how we are sometimes unfortunately se=
en)<br>

&gt;<br>
&gt; Bart<br>
&gt; Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; -----Original Message-----<br>
&gt; From: Jack Daniel &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jackadaniel at gmail.com">jackada=
niel at gmail.com</a>&gt;<br>
&gt; Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 12:22:48<br>
&gt; To: PaulDotCom Security Weekly Mailing List&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:pauld=
otcom at mail.pauldotcom.com">pauldotcom at mail.pauldotcom.com</a>&gt;<br>
&gt; Subject: Re: [Pauldotcom] End user education<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I need to craft a longer answer, but I will say the results of user<br=

&gt; education programs are very dependent on the end user being taught. =
=A0I<br>
&gt; have had much better luck with some groups than others. =A0The car<br>
&gt; business. that is definitely a &quot;teaching pigs to sing&quot; exper=
ience.<br>
&gt; Thanks for the insights Raffi and Jody.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I think we&#39;ll be hearing more about this topic ;)<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Jack<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 9:17 PM, Raffi Jamgotchian<br>
&gt; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:raffi at flossyourmind.com">raffi at flossyourmind.com=
</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt; Jack,<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; I used to feel the same way that you did only a few years ago. =A0=
I think it<br>
&gt;&gt; was particularly because our security program from the larger corp=
oration I<br>
&gt;&gt; came from was ineffective. The problem with giving up on the end-u=
ser is<br>
&gt;&gt; that you end up with spending too much time and money on tools. I =
know those<br>
&gt;&gt; things are not necessarily items that are exclusive of each other =
but hear<br>
&gt;&gt; me out.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; When I was asked to be CTO of a small investment firm startup (aft=
er I left<br>
&gt;&gt; larger investment firm noted above), I agreed to every security st=
artup that<br>
&gt;&gt; I met that I would put their product into my environment at no or =
low cost<br>
&gt;&gt; in return for feedback to them and them allowing to use our compan=
y name in<br>
&gt;&gt; their marketing. =A0Besides finding myself becoming somewhat of a =
tech whore<br>
&gt;&gt; (sorry if that offends), I found that I was spending too much time=
&gt;&gt; overcomplicating the environment which led to other issues. Both o=
f those<br>
&gt;&gt; left a bad taste in my mouth so I made a conscious switch.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Since then, I&#39;ve moved into a consulting role with the same fi=
rm as well as<br>
&gt;&gt; a few other small investment and non-investment firms. =A0I&#39;ve=
 found that by<br>
&gt;&gt; spending one on one time about the consequences in addition to pra=
gmatic<br>
&gt;&gt; controls is the best defense we have today. Small business typical=
ly don&#39;t<br>
&gt;&gt; have the resources to spend oodles of money on tools and people so=
 they have<br>
&gt;&gt; to do, as Mick said at ShmooCon, &quot;secure enough.&quot;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; The church I go to has a prototypical very conservative Armenian p=
riest.<br>
&gt;&gt; His sermons are super long and are said in two languages (Armenian=
 and<br>
&gt;&gt; English). =A0When he wants to teach or preach to a point, he says =
the same<br>
&gt;&gt; thing three different ways, and then again in both languages. Now =
someone<br>
&gt;&gt; that understands both languages got the same lesson 6 times. =A0Gu=
ess what, it<br>
&gt;&gt; eventually sinks in. =A0Although we like to treat employees like a=
dults, and<br>
&gt;&gt; we expect them to behave that way, the truth is, that most adults =
(like<br>
&gt;&gt; Kindergarteners) need repetition in different ways to properly lea=
rn. =A0As<br>
&gt;&gt; security practitioners (and I&#39;ll speak to the small business m=
arket since<br>
&gt;&gt; that&#39;s what I focus on now a days) we need to be equal parts t=
echnologists<br>
&gt;&gt; to minimize the breakage when things happen but also teach the bus=
iness<br>
&gt;&gt; consequences of the actions people make. =A0If you work the conseq=
uences into<br>
&gt;&gt; the conversations in different ways repetitiously, it does eventua=
lly sink<br>
&gt;&gt; in, but it doesn&#39;t happen overnight.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Thanks for sending those links over. I&#39;m always interested in =
seeing what<br>
&gt;&gt; others feel about this since my position is an evolving one.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; -----Original Message-----<br>
&gt;&gt; From: <a href=3D"mailto:pauldotcom-bounces at mail.pauldotcom.com">pa=
uldotcom-bounces at mail.pauldotcom.com</a><br>
&gt;&gt; [mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:pauldotcom-bounces at mail.pauldotcom.com">=
pauldotcom-bounces at mail.pauldotcom.com</a>] On Behalf Of Jack Daniel<br>
&gt;&gt; Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2010 2:17 PM<br>
&gt;&gt; To: PaulDotCom Security Weekly Mailing List<br>
&gt;&gt; Subject: [Pauldotcom] End user education<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; You&#39;ve probably all seen Larry&#39;s fudsec post at<br>
&gt;&gt; <a href=3D"http://fudsec.com/casual-hex-and-the-failure-of-securit=
y-awaren" target=3D"_blank">http://fudsec.com/casual-hex-and-the-failure-of=
-security-awaren</a> (You<br>
&gt;&gt; haven&#39;t? Go now, and make sure you read the comments). =A0I th=
ink it is a good<br>
&gt;&gt; starting point for a conversation we need to have in InfoSec.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; I have largely lined up with the dinosaurs like Ranum in my skepti=
cism of<br>
&gt;&gt; the value of user education, but have tried anyway. =A0I almost al=
ways come<br>
&gt;&gt; back to Robert Heinlein&#39;s quote: &quot;Never try to teach a pi=
g to sing; it<br>
&gt;&gt; wastes your time and it annoys the pig.&quot; =A0We do get some su=
ccesses, but at<br>
&gt;&gt; what cost?<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; A more informed look at the education we give end users, and the r=
easons<br>
&gt;&gt; that they should reject the advice, is found in a paper Cormac Her=
ley<br>
&gt;&gt; delivered last year. =A0I read it when it came out, and keep going=
 back to it.<br>
&gt;&gt; It isn&#39;t very long, but it isn&#39;t really a light read, eith=
er. =A0PDF is at<br>
&gt;&gt; <a href=3D"http://research.microsoft.com/users/cormac/papers/2009/=
SoLongAndNoThanks.pdf" target=3D"_blank">http://research.microsoft.com/user=
s/cormac/papers/2009/SoLongAndNoThanks.pdf</a><br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; You may notice that this is focused on the home user, not the corp=
orate end<br>
&gt;&gt; user- that is on purpose, there just isn&#39;t enough data to extr=
apolate<br>
&gt;&gt; conclusions with the level of detail he wanted. =A0Cormac has obse=
rved that<br>
&gt;&gt; end users in business are rejecting the advice anyway. =A0I do thi=
nk the<br>
&gt;&gt; numbers have to shift significantly when we factor in the costs of=
 breaches<br>
&gt;&gt; to organizations and the fact that many fraud protections offered =
to<br>
&gt;&gt; individuals do not apply to businesses. =A0My gut feeling is that =
rejecting a<br>
&gt;&gt; lot of &quot;security advice&quot; still makes economic sense, at =
least from the<br>
&gt;&gt; corporate end-user perspective, but the margins are slimmer.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; There is also the issue of the true cost of breaches; if I have a =
fraudulent<br>
&gt;&gt; charge on a card I am not out any money *directly*, but we&#39;re =
all paying<br>
&gt;&gt; double-digit interest rates on credit cards when the prime is belo=
w a<br>
&gt;&gt; percent, partly to cover fraud expenses- and the price of goods in=
cludes an<br>
&gt;&gt; added margin to cover &quot;shrinkage&quot; (theft, loss, fraud, e=
tc.). =A0We are all<br>
&gt;&gt; paying for the fraud, but the true costs are so obfuscated that we=
 don&#39;t<br>
&gt;&gt; know what the real numbers are.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; I&#39;m not sure where we go from here, but I do believe we need t=
o be able to<br>
&gt;&gt; honestly answer the question &quot;is it worth it&quot; before we =
hand out security<br>
&gt;&gt; advice and education, especially the same stuff we&#39;ve been say=
ing for years.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; I think it makes sense to use this information to justify some loc=
kdown of<br>
&gt;&gt; corporate assets; if the users can&#39;t be relied on to protect t=
he assets (and<br>
&gt;&gt; arguably shouldn&#39;t have to), then we need to secure them befor=
e letting<br>
&gt;&gt; people loose to do their jobs.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; I have exchanged a few emails with Cormac, he has received a prett=
y good<br>
&gt;&gt; response to the paper and he is certainly a sharp guy. =A0Hey, the=
re&#39;s a guest<br>
&gt;&gt; idea for the podcast...<br>
&gt;&gt; (Paul&#39;s idol, Steve Gibson, even covered this paper, but of co=
urse, didn&#39;t<br>
&gt;&gt; speak to Cormac about it).<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Jack<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; --<br>
&gt;&gt;______________________________________<br>
&gt;&gt; Jack Daniel, Reluctant CISSP<br>
&gt;&gt; <a href=3D"http://twitter.com/jack_daniel"; target=3D"_blank">http:=
//twitter.com/jack_daniel</a><br>
&gt;&gt; <a href=3D"http://www.linkedin.com/in/jackadaniel"; target=3D"_blan=
k">http://www.linkedin.com/in/jackadaniel</a><br>
[...]