PaulDotCom mailing list archives

How much do timestamps matter?

From: pauldotcom at grymoire.com (Grymoire)
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 21:26:39 -0400

As the subject states, how much do file time stamp matter to a forensics
case? If some one finds my collection of "Nazi albino midget Eskimo" porn,
does it really mater what the date is?

I'm not a forensic expert, but as I understand it,
Timestamps help paint an accurate recreation of events.

An expert describes a series of events, such as entries in the log
file, access times, modifications times, etc, registry entries, etc.

Some experts say that you can usually re-create an event even if
someone tries to hide their traces (i,e, modify timestamps). I think a
lot depends on the OS and logging capability.

And if the log is stored on a centralized log server, hiding traces are
more difficult.