PaulDotCom mailing list archives

How much do timestamps matter?

From: pj_mcgarvey at hotmail.com (PJ McGarvey)
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 08:12:44 -0400

I agree, I'd say as a forensics examiner (which I am not) if you suspect the timestamps have been altered, then you're
next bet might be to prove that timestomp, or other was used on the system.  Obviously the timestamps at that point are
useless, but at least they can't be used "against" your case.

Now if I wanted to modify timestamps to hide myself, I would probably generate some completely random dates for a bunch
of files, or at least modify the timestamp to coincide with some other event not related to what you're doing on the
system, and try to throw the investigator off your trail.

PJ