PaulDotCom mailing list archives

How much do timestamps matter?

From: joel.folkerts at gmail.com (Joel Folkerts)
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 15:48:03 -0500

SANS recently posted an article discussing timeline creation and analysis -
https://blogs.sans.org/computer-forensics/2009/08/13/artifact-timeline-creation-and-analysis-tool-release-log2timeline/

-Joel

"The path to hell is paved with good intentions."

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Nicholas B. <nberthaume at gmail.com> wrote:

While it can create an issue when a user is able to modify timestamps
those that they can't change for last access time can prove useful.
These stamps can yield information on probs of files not actively
looked at by others for evidence of probing for vulnerable
configuration settings by a malicious user where they are unable to
make modifucations to those files, but have read access to them.  This
only works on filesystems that record that stamp and didn't
shortsitedly disable it (ie Vista) for performance reasons and where
automatic processes (indexing, virus scans, etc.) haven't run on them
since the incident in question occurred.