PaulDotCom mailing list archives

802.11 Wireless Security Class for the Louisville ISSA Part 1

From: christopher.riley at r-it.at (christopher.riley at r-it.at)
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 10:32:48 +0200

Getting the timing right is always a problem I have when running a course
for the first time. I usually try to put "optional" sections into the
class so that you can cover them if you have time, and tell people that
they can read those sections at their leisure if you're running late.
Marking them as optional helps avoid people wondering why you're not
covering them in-depth and makes sure you have a few points where you can
adjust the class depending on skill and the inevitable person with 1001
questions (that's not to say questions are bad).

Lots of folks will show up for CPE, but may not really be interested in
the subject.

That's a pet peeve of mine, people showing up to get credit. I actually
had to ask a few people to leave a class at the local University as they
were more happy to sit at the back chatting and playing around than they
were to learn about Metasploit. I find it strange, as I'd turn up to learn
these things even without (CPE) credit or a degree at the end of it. I
guess some people are just built differently.

Are you running the class again for another group ? it always goes
smoother the second time.

Chris

P.S: As an open question to people who develop training classes. How long
do you spend developing the class and how detailed are your notes on what
to cover ?

I usually spend about 6/7 hours per hour of class (including developing
labs) and tend to rely on whats in my head instead of official class
notes.