PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Ideas for Securing my FTP Server

From: luis.mgarc at gmail.com (Luis M.)
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 18:34:22 +0100

What about using Port Knocking or Single Packet Authorization?

That way you'd have port 21 closed at all times, until you "knock" on
your firewall's door so it opens port 21 for your current IP address.
There are some nice&free cryptography-based PK and SPA systems out there.

Shaun Curry wrote:
Hello all!

Does anyone have suggestions for my current situation?  I have found
that someone has been trying to brute-force login to my FTP Server, so
far they have been unsuccessful.  I don't think they are using any
tools or software to do this.  They have just been using a user name
like administrador and trying passwords til it times out.  I have
blocked his IP, but that can be changed easily.  I have his IP and
thats about it.  Can I simple change the port that my FTP connects
on?  This should reduce the risk of someone "stumbling" onto my ftp,
right?

Any ideas on a cheap IDS (aka free) system that might catch something
like this in the future.

Thanks
Shaun