PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Ideas for Securing my FTP Server

From: nutjob.ie at gmail.com (Pat Moloney)
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 16:54:11 +0000

First off you have not mentioned platform. I'm going to assume its non
Microsoft and give Linux/unix suggestions.

Most of these will apply to SSH but can be easily tweaked for ftp

You could try Fail2Ban
http://www.fail2ban.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Try here for rate limiting SSH example using Iptables.
http://hostingfu.com/article/ssh-dictionary-attack-prevention-with-iptables

BSD example for searching the SSH log and banning IPs
http://www.freebsdwiki.net/index.php/Block_repeated_illegal_or_failed_SSH_logins

As for IDS someone with stronger foo might be able to help. I have never
needed to deploy snort or any IDS so not aware of how it would/wouldn't
handle this kind of attack.

I would suggest though than now is a really good time to implement an
enforced strong password policy.

best of luck,
Pat

Shaun Curry wrote:
Hello all!

Does anyone have suggestions for my current situation?  I have found
that someone has been trying to brute-force login to my FTP Server, so
far they have been unsuccessful.  I don't think they are using any
tools or software to do this.  They have just been using a user name
like administrador and trying passwords til it times out.  I have
blocked his IP, but that can be changed easily.  I have his IP and
thats about it.  Can I simple change the port that my FTP connects
on?  This should reduce the risk of someone "stumbling" onto my ftp,
right?

Any ideas on a cheap IDS (aka free) system that might catch something
like this in the future.

Thanks
Shaun