PaulDotCom mailing list archives

who trusts google apps?

From: dninja at gmail.com (Robin Wood)
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 21:58:59 +0000

2009/3/11 Jonathan Moore <supermegatron at gmail.com>:
On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Robin Wood <dninja at gmail.com> wrote:

I like the idea of a centralised, on the net, in the cloud, blah blah
blah, service for all my stuff but at the same time I worry about
giving all my private information to google because I don't know what
they are going to do with it and also it has to be a very large and
tempting target for bad hackers.

I use Google for my personal email. ?I also use Google Apps in my
orginization. ?I justify it by reminding myself, it's email. ?Unless
both sides use TLS (or something similar) it's going over the net's in
clear at some point. ?More on that, if I don't use some type of
encryption in the message itself, it's nothing more than a postcard
thrown in the wind.

My solution, don't use email for _private_ communications. ?It's not
perfect, but it helps me sleep at night.

The G1 automatically syncs your google address book and its
phone/contact list so google automatically get access to all your
phone numbers. The email I send through gmail tends to only be mailing
list stuff and stuff that I'm not too worried about getting out. I
have my own mail server for business stuff.

As for the calendar, I really like the idea of being able to access it
from anywhere and the fact that it is integrated and just works makes
it very tempting to use. On the other hand I agree that I don't really
want any private info out there that doesn't need to be.

I think I'm going to get one anyway and see how it goes. I think
convenience may win but I'll do some encoding so that what is going
out to the world it isn't too personal.

Robin