PaulDotCom mailing list archives

who trusts google apps?

From: supermegatron at gmail.com (Jonathan Moore)
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 16:30:34 -0500

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Robin Wood <dninja at gmail.com> wrote:

I like the idea of a centralised, on the net, in the cloud, blah blah
blah, service for all my stuff but at the same time I worry about
giving all my private information to google because I don't know what
they are going to do with it and also it has to be a very large and
tempting target for bad hackers.

I use Google for my personal email.  I also use Google Apps in my
orginization.  I justify it by reminding myself, it's email.  Unless
both sides use TLS (or something similar) it's going over the net's in
clear at some point.  More on that, if I don't use some type of
encryption in the message itself, it's nothing more than a postcard
thrown in the wind.

My solution, don't use email for _private_ communications.  It's not
perfect, but it helps me sleep at night.

-jon