PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Friendly SOHO router

From: rsreese at gmail.com (Stephen Reese)
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 23:05:12 -0500

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 9:46 PM, Jack Daniel <jackadaniel at gmail.com> wrote:
I have not played with Palo Alto myself, but people I respect in the
field speak well of them. ?I tend to play in the SMB market, and Palo
Alto is pretty far up the food chain for my world.

The Palo Alto devices do seem to be a bit more than what a SOHO
network would need.

Remember my previous disclaimer before reading on- I work for Astaro,
a competitor in the SMB firewall/UTM network security market.

As far as SonicWALL, a lot of folks use them, they have some very
competitively priced systems, and they work. ?I have installed and
supported them in the past, they weren't bad, but I wasn't really
impressed. ?The do have a newer line of systems (NSAs) which appear to
be a lot better, but I've heard from "Bob" that they may need some
hardening/patching if you want them to stand up to advanced and
sophisticated attacks (like fragmented packets from of-the-shelf
tools). ?I am sure they will be patched soon, if they haven't already.
?My experiences with them led me to look for alternatives, that's how
I ended up working for Astaro.

Most devices in the "UTM" space have more features than needed for
this job, although some license the add-ons for web and email
separately (like my corporate overlords' products), which might make
them affordable enough. ?At 20 IPs, even just going with the base
features (Firewall/VPNs/IPSec) Astaro would be out of the target price
range. ?Astaro and some others offer leasing options if the initial
purchase price is a stumbling block, but I don't know if anyone has
options this far down the line- it might be worth asking, though.

The sales staff at your firm were very quick to get back to my
response so I may recommend my friend test drive one if he feels it
may work out better than the Cisco 1800 he's currently running that
way he could test support of the product and whatnot...

Watchguard was a leader in the UTM space, and they have new stuff
coming, but I don't know how much real innovation they have had
lately.

He was initially leaning towards the Watchguard product because the
price was quite affordable.

There is a project, built on Open Source bits called Untangle. ?It
isn't a great product, especially compared to any of the commercial
alternatives (I love competing against their commercial products)- but
they have a free offering if a build-your-own unit is a possibility.
The GUI isn't bad, especially for the price. ?Just stay away from
their stupid "Re-Router" technology, it is just arp-cache poisoning
your network to redirect traffic to a VM on a Windows workstation on
your network.

This sounds fun. I don't think he would be interested in tooling with
this but I just may!

And, remember to factor the annual renewals into your calculations-
those can be a shock at the end of the year when renewals are due.

Jack

I really appreciate your in depth response! Insight like this is what
makes individuals such as myself want to become security samurai ;-)

-Stephen