PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Friendly SOHO router

From: raffi at flossyourmind.com (Raffi Jamgotchian)
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 22:02:44 -0500

I've set up and used a half dozen Astaro boxes and endorse them.

On Mar 6, 2009, at 9:46 PM, Jack Daniel wrote:

I have not played with Palo Alto myself, but people I respect in the
field speak well of them.  I tend to play in the SMB market, and Palo
Alto is pretty far up the food chain for my world.

Remember my previous disclaimer before reading on- I work for Astaro,
a competitor in the SMB firewall/UTM network security market.

As far as SonicWALL, a lot of folks use them, they have some very
competitively priced systems, and they work.  I have installed and
supported them in the past, they weren't bad, but I wasn't really
impressed.  The do have a newer line of systems (NSAs) which appear to
be a lot better, but I've heard from "Bob" that they may need some
hardening/patching if you want them to stand up to advanced and
sophisticated attacks (like fragmented packets from of-the-shelf
tools).  I am sure they will be patched soon, if they haven't already.
My experiences with them led me to look for alternatives, that's how
I ended up working for Astaro.

Most devices in the "UTM" space have more features than needed for
this job, although some license the add-ons for web and email
separately (like my corporate overlords' products), which might make
them affordable enough.  At 20 IPs, even just going with the base
features (Firewall/VPNs/IPSec) Astaro would be out of the target price
range.  Astaro and some others offer leasing options if the initial
purchase price is a stumbling block, but I don't know if anyone has
options this far down the line- it might be worth asking, though.

Watchguard was a leader in the UTM space, and they have new stuff
coming, but I don't know how much real innovation they have had
lately.

There is a project, built on Open Source bits called Untangle.  It
isn't a great product, especially compared to any of the commercial
alternatives (I love competing against their commercial products)- but
they have a free offering if a build-your-own unit is a possibility.
The GUI isn't bad, especially for the price.  Just stay away from
their stupid "Re-Router" technology, it is just arp-cache poisoning
your network to redirect traffic to a VM on a Windows workstation on
your network.

And, remember to factor the annual renewals into your calculations-
those can be a shock at the end of the year when renewals are due.

Jack