PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Airport Body Scanners

From: jim.w.manley at lmco.com (Manley, Jim W)
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 07:26:43 -0600

Basically what you've described is an electronic countermeasures (ECM)
device similar to what is used in both ground-based and airborne scenarios
to disrupt electronic sensors operating in the frequency range of interest.

Based on work I've done with ECM gear, depending on the location of the
"jammer" with respect to the scanner's aperture, the jammer's signal
strength, and the jammers radiation pattern, the scanner operator will see
something akin to what you see on a television receiving a very weak or no
signal.  If the jammer is has enough signal strength and is properly
positioned, the operator's screen would be a "white out."

Jim

1st Immutable Law of Computer Security

If a bad guy can persuade you to run his program on your computer,

it's not your computer anymore.