PaulDotCom mailing list archives

SSL Encryption and HTML

From: paul at pauldotcom.com (Paul Asadoorian)
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 06:46:08 -0400

I would advocate for the browsers to issue a warning (error maybe) when
a self signed certificate was used to identify a service in addition to
the warnings if a certificate was signed by an unknown/untrusted CA.

They do, and users click right through them.  However, the firefox and
IE warnings have gotten better and harder to click through.

Concerning Extended Validation (EV) certificates, that's just a hokes:
Google for "Faking Extended Validation SSL Certificates in Internet
Explorer 7" and you should find a PDF document that describes how it works.

In essence you can make your own certificates with EV and hit the green
light.

Yes, EV has its problems as I eluded to it being only a thin layer.
That paper is from last year though and only references IE 7 as being
vulnerable. Has this bug been fixed (I did not have the change to
validate that it had)?  Is it possible to create a fake EV cert that
will trick Firefox?

Cheers,
Paul

--