PaulDotCom mailing list archives

SSL Encryption and HTML

From: pabgames at gmail.com (Cody Ray)
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 16:17:55 -0500

Do you guys agree with the below statement?

Although the login does not occur on a secure HTML page, the login is, in
fact, secure. We have all been well trained on how to check for security. We
all look down at our status bar at the bottom of the browser to make sure
there is a little lock or key that assures us that everything is secure
before we send anything. Well now there's a new rule to learn: data can be
sent securely even if you don't see these icons of security. When you fill
out an information form, or application, or login, etc. you are filling out
information on one page and the information is being sent to a second page.
We see the security icons when the page that collects the information is
secure. The information can be sent securely if the collection page is not
secure, but the page where the information is sent to is secure. This is the
method we use on home page logins. If you want to assure yourself that the
information you are sending is secure and you don't see a security icon, you
can view the HTML source code. This may be intimidating for some, but all
you have to do is search to find the word "action=." This will show you the
location of the page that the information will be sent to. If you see
"action='*https://?',*"; you know that it is being sent securely. If you see
"action='*http://',*"; you know it is not secure.
Information Encryption

Your account information never travels the Internet without encryption
protection. When you click on "login", we encrypt your Online Banking ID and
password using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology, the highest level of
Internet security available. A secure connection is established before your
ID and password are transmitted and maintained for the duration of your
Online Banking session.