PaulDotCom mailing list archives

SSL Encryption and HTML

From: nbaronian at gmail.com (Nick Baronian)
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 20:40:05 -0400

Hey Cody, given that this is a bank and I am guessing you bank with them, I
would be a little wary.  I don't know who you bank with but my uber google
skillz led me to a bank that calls another site for login authentication.
And from my 90 seconds of analysis, I don't think that the other site is
using a well known cerificate authority, atleast wget barked it wasn't or
perhaps it was just self-signed.
Either way, my guess is they are allowing another site to do this
authentication behind the scenes to either avoid buying their own cert so
they don't get a ton of users squawking to them about broken locks caused
from different domains or no cert auth signing or perhaps the company who
does their online banking didn't pay for one.  Maybe my quick peak at it was
wrong but it seems to me that for a website with a function such as banking,
they are either avoiding/hiding something or their site is oddly/poorly
designed causing me to be cautious and I would poke around the code and
sniff my traffic.

-Nick