PaulDotCom mailing list archives

SSL Encryption and HTML

From: genesiswave at gmail.com (James Costello)
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 22:49:01 -0500

My bank uses SSL through out the session which I greatly appreciate and my
credit union redirects from the main site to separate window to login to
using SSL.
I think a simpler hack/hijack is to put up a copycat site that a user is
directed to via e-mail which has the same login handling as the main page of
the banks website with a minor redirect through the bad guys server to
capture the login information and then forward the client on to the
legitimate bank site, user is never prompted for the certificate information
because you can be legitimately redirected to https from http (as seen in
the original example).
One possible catch could be someone who has set their IE to notify them when
they move to a trusted site from a non trusted site and has set his/her bank
site up in the trusted zone instead of the default Internet zone.
I agree with Paul's assessment about the extended validation cert, if I
don't see it on my bank, I am not sure I would want to use the site without
verifiying the certificate (but really how many people outside of the
security community ever take the time to do that)

James