PaulDotCom mailing list archives

How to Proactivly protect against Phising attacks?

From: jim.halfpenny at gmail.com (Jim Halfpenny)
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 14:11:05 +0000

You can check out the headers of the email address. They could indicate
where the emails originated from which may or may not be helpful. Check your
mail relay to ensure that it's secure and does not accept mail originating
from your domain from the internet. If you need to accept mail from your
users from outside your network consider using SSL and authentication.

You should give some consideration to the motive of these attacks. Are the
passwords useful for anthing else other than email? Are the same passwords
used for desktop logins, VPN, web applications etc.

Regards,
Jim