oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE-2014-6271: remote code execution through bash

From: Eric Blake <eblake () redhat com>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 20:05:02 -0600

On 09/27/2014 07:39 PM, Chet Ramey wrote:
On 9/27/14, 2:17 PM, Chet Ramey wrote:
On 9/27/14, 10:28 AM, Tavis Ormandy wrote:

It does look bad, but are you sold on the prefix/suffix solution Chet?
That will at least mean these are not security issues.

Yes.  I have no problems worth mentioning with the exported function
encoding approach.  I have attached patches implementing it that can
be applied to bash versions from bash-2.05b to bash-4.3.  Please take
a look, make sure they can be applied cleanly, and so on.

There is another discussion worth having before officially releasing
these, which I will do later today.

OK, here are the more-or-less final versions of the patches for bash-2.05b
through bash-4.3.  I made two changes from earlier today: the function
export suffix is now `%%', which is not part of a the set of valid variable
name characters but avoids any potential problems with including
shell metacharacters in the name;

Nice compromise.

and this version refuses to import shell
functions whose name contains a slash, for reasons I discussed earlier.

Please let me know if you have any issues with these.

I'm still a bit worried about the fact that people can do 'function a=b
() { echo oops; }'; on the outgoing direction, this puts:

BASH_FUNC_a=b%%=() { echo oops; }

into the environment, and on the incoming direction that means that you
have populated $BASH_FUNC_a as a _regular_ variable with contents "b%% {
echo oops; }'.  The parser is not run (so we are immune to Shell Shock),
but you are polluting the child namespace with a regular variable that
the parent did NOT export.

With your patch as-is:

$ bash -c 'function a=b(){ echo oops;};export -f a=b;export
BASH_FUNC_a=hi; bash
-c "echo \$BASH_FUNC_a"'
b%%=() { echo oops
}

Your attempt to export an invalid function name ended up clobbering a
regular variable.  So I highly recommend that you further tighten things
up to reject '=' in function names.  Here's your existing tightening line:

          /* Don't import function names that are invalid identifiers from the
             environment. */
!         if (absolute_program (tname) == 0 && (posixly_correct == 0 ||
legal_identifier (tname)))
!           parse_and_execute (temp_string, tname,

where absolute_program() filters anything with '/', and the use of
posixly_correct decides whether to further restrict to variable names.