oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE-2014-6271: remote code execution through bash

From: Chet Ramey <chet.ramey () case edu>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 21:39:19 -0400

On 9/27/14, 2:17 PM, Chet Ramey wrote:
On 9/27/14, 10:28 AM, Tavis Ormandy wrote:

It does look bad, but are you sold on the prefix/suffix solution Chet?
That will at least mean these are not security issues.

Yes.  I have no problems worth mentioning with the exported function
encoding approach.  I have attached patches implementing it that can
be applied to bash versions from bash-2.05b to bash-4.3.  Please take
a look, make sure they can be applied cleanly, and so on.

There is another discussion worth having before officially releasing
these, which I will do later today.

OK, here are the more-or-less final versions of the patches for bash-2.05b
through bash-4.3.  I made two changes from earlier today: the function
export suffix is now `%%', which is not part of a the set of valid variable
name characters but avoids any potential problems with including
shell metacharacters in the name; and this version refuses to import shell
functions whose name contains a slash, for reasons I discussed earlier.

Please let me know if you have any issues with these.

Chet
--
Chet Ramey, ITS, CWRU    chet () case edu    http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/