Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: <netdb.h> in nsock/src/

From: Henri Doreau <henri.doreau () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 23:18:34 +0200

2013/5/1 Gisle Vanem <gvanem () broadpark no>:
"Henri Doreau" <henri.doreau () gmail com> wrote:
Waw, that terribly sucks! C99 designated initializers are neither new
nor GNU-specific... I didn't find anything on the web about proper C99
support by MSVC. Do you confirm?

My MSVC doesn't support C99 AFAICS. But is that important? What
other C99 features is required for nmap? The VC (v.16) as part of VC-Express
2010 is the last free compiler to run on Win-XP. The free VC-Express 2012
requires Win-7. So should Win-XP users be excluded from compiling nmap?

Sure not, don't get me wrong: I was just wondering if enabling a
switch or something in the MSVC project file could have let us use
these nice initializers. It looks like it's not the case so I'll
remove them.

Yes, nbase is probably the place where to put this. Though I don't get
what's the problem with MingW users? How does compilation work for
them? Which symbols do they have access to? I'm a bit reluctant to add
a function that's already available everywhere (under different
names).
strtok_r() nor strtok_s() are available on MingW. strtok_s() is for
MSVC (via <strsafe.h>). There is no reentrant strtok in standard MingW.

I see, thanks for the explanations. Then providing our own strtok_r on
platforms which don't have it sounds reasonable.

--gv

Regards

--
Henri