Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Wild TTL value

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 13:48:19 -0700

On Wed, May 01, 2013 at 01:47:17PM -0700, David Fifield wrote:
On Wed, May 01, 2013 at 10:40:00PM +0200, Gisle Vanem wrote:
"David Fifield" <david () bamsoftware com> wrote:

Please try this patch. What I need you to check is that it has the same
behavior as before on platforms like Linux that don't give an error for
-1. That is, perhaps existing behavior on Linux is to set the TTL to 255
when IP_TTL is set like this, and if that's true, perhaps we should try
to keep the behavior.

Your patch looks okay. No error from Winsock now.

Could you check if it changes the default TTL behavior on Linux?

And incidentally, what was actual TTL sent on the network on Windows
before and after this patch?

David Fifield