Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap snmp scanning

From: Kent Hundley <khundley () opnet com>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 10:20:55 -0500

David,

Thanks much, you hit the nail on the head. For some reason, nmap was not using the file I was supplying with the snmp community strings. I tried using the snmp-brute script option and I noticed that if I supplied the snmpcommunities file option, nmap kept just using some default values. Looking at the snmp-brute.nse file, I found a section that specified a list of default communities to use and just substituted the string I wanted for one of the defaults and lo and behold the scan told me which string was in use.

After trying this I then went back and re-created the snmpcommunities.lst file in the root of the nmap dir and suddenly it started working. I'm not sure what the issue was originally, but its working now. For completeness and to help anyone else who has this issue, here is the exact command that is working now, the "snmpcommunities.lst" file is in the same dir as the nmap.exe (this is on Windows BTW):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Nmap>type snmpcommunities.lst
test

C:\Program Files (x86)\Nmap>nmap -sU -p161 --script snmp-brute 192.168.200.2 --s
cript-args snmplist=snmpcommunities.lst

Starting Nmap 5.51 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2011-12-06 09:42 Eastern Standard Time

Nmap scan report for 192.168.200.2
Host is up (0.012s latency).
PORT    STATE SERVICE
161/udp open  snmp
|_snmp-brute: test
MAC Address: CC:02:1B:80:00:00 (Unknown)

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 2.35 seconds

C:\Program Files (x86)\Nmap>

Thanks,
Kent