Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] ip-geolocation

From: Gorjan Petrovski <mogi57 () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 20:08:08 +0200

We can easily modify blockfinder to use a GeoIP database already on the system.

Doesn't it already use the GeoIP module which queries a local
database. Maxmind have a web service?
We'd prefer to use a service instead of a local database, so the user
doesn't have to download an additional database to do ip-geolocation.

The main area where it needs to be expanded is with regard to how it
handles (or doesn't really handle) BGP. It would be awesome to really
confirm allocation information. For example, I have a netblock that
reports as being in one country and it's actually routed from another.
It is possible to confirm this via BGP but not from LIR/RIR data...

It would be cool indeed. In case this method is accepted I'd probably
have to implement it using Lua.