Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: backorifice-brute

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 19:52:51 -0500

I wasn't part of the original discussions, so sorry if I'm repeating something that's already been discussed, but I'm
not convinced. ;)

The magic of UDP is the fire-and-forget style. You can send 30,000 packets to a host in a couple seconds, and it'll
process them and respond when it gets one it can handle (unless you blow up a queue or cause a traffic jam or
something). It seems to me that you could guess the top 1000 or 10000 passwords in under a second, then wait 5 or 10 or
30 seconds for a response. If you get a response, then you can go back and do the check properly (unless the response
contains the password or whatever, then the problem is solved).

Does that make sense for this protocol? Or is something odd going on?

(Like I said, sorry if this is rehashing stuff you already talked about and decided against)

Ron