Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Windows 7

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 14:50:24 -0800

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 09:34:46PM -0800, David Fifield wrote:
I don't know offhand what to do about this. One potential solution is to
rewrite libdnet's code so that it gets its list of interfaces from
WinPcap instead of through the MIB and GetIfTable. That's a pretty
significant change though, with a lot of potential ramifications. In
your case, we've seen that libdnet finds like 19 Ethernet devices
(mostly tunnels or variations on a few physical devices), while WinPcap
finds only five total. I think it's worth trying, though it might break
things for other people.

Christian, please try --iflist with this test version, with the virtual
adapter enabled and disabled.

http://nmap.org/dist/nmap-5.51SVN-dnet-pcap1-win32.zip

This has libdnet get its interface list directly from pcap_findalldevs,
instead of using GetIfTable, so there's no need to match up the two
different interface lists. This is just a proof of concept and we'd need
to do some more research to see if this can be a fully functional
replacement.

David Fifield