Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Can I help ?

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 10:32:00 -0600

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 02:21:25PM +0200, Etienne MAYNIER wrote:
I am currently doing an internship in an Indian university, and until now,
we can't find any work. So I would like to help the development of nmap.

I think I can work 3-4 hours a day during 2-3 weeks, so I won't be able to
start a huge part, but I can help to correct some bugs or improve some
parts of nmap/zenmap.
I have some knowledge in C and Java. I don't know C++ but I think I can
learn it quickly. I don't know python but I have already done some GUI in
Java/Swing so it could be a good opportunity to learn GUI with python.

Do you think I can help in nmap development ? Could anybody help me at the
beginning to explain me what I can do  ?

You can look in the file docs/TODO for all the things that we want done.

I have a Zenmap bug that might be good for someone getting started. When
you scan localhost, the Topology shows two localhost nodes connected by
a line. The code always puts localhost as a black dot in the center, and
considers the "other" localhost as just another host. The host
information should be stored in the central dot instead, so that for
example you can get host information by clicking on it with the "Show
information" button.

David Fifield