Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Boolean Operators for --script (again)

From: Patrick Donnelly <batrick () batbytes com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 00:04:30 -0600

Hi David,

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 3:00 PM, David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 11:53:13PM -0600, Patrick Donnelly wrote:
On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 12:28 AM, David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com> wrote:
Please make another version of the patch that
 1) Puts script.db entries on a single line,
 2) Fixes the duplicate running scripts (just a simple matter of
   updating files_loaded I think),
 3) Uses the user's typed expression in syntax error messages,
 4) Removes special handling of version, and
 5) Does whatever you think is best for textual substitution of
   expressions '__["a"]' 'm("a")'. That part of code is tricky so it
   needs good comments too.

I've added all of the above and also quite a few comments.
Additionally, I made a change to have each rule precompiled
(invariant) outside the Entry function.

Looks great, I like it. Please check it in. In the CHANGELOG describe
the new feature and mention that script.db is different.

The new ability has to be documented in scripting.xml as well. I think
it should go in a new short section above "Arguments to Scripts"
(http://nmap.org/book/nse-usage.html#nse-args). Do you want to write a
draft of that section and check it in? It doesn't have to be more than a
paragraph, really. It should have a couple of examples. It should say
that complex script selection strings have to be quoted from the shell.

I've applied this patch in r13134. I've also updated the script
database in r13135.

I'll update scripting.xml soon when I find some spare time.

--
-Patrick Donnelly

"Let all men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely
ford that see the shallows."

- Benjamin Franklin