Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap: nsock_core.c:294: handle_connect_result: Assertion `0' failed.

From: "Fabio" <fabio.ped () libero it>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 09:19:07 +0200

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 03:29:20PM +0200, Fabio wrote:
When trying to scan some hosts to search for the Conficker virus I get
the following assertion. This is nmap 4.85BETA8 compiled from source on
a SPARC machine under Linux, gcc 4.0.3.

$ ./nmap -p139,445 --script p2p-conficker,smb-os-discovery,smb-check-vulns --script-args checkconficker=1,safe=1
-T4 192.168.29.55

Starting Nmap 4.85BETA8 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-04-29 15:44 CEST
Strange connect error from 192.168.29.55 (42): Operation now in progress
nmap: nsock_core.c:294: handle_connect_result: Assertion `0' failed.
Aborted

This is a strange error. Errno 42 is ENOMSG, "No message of desired
type". But perror is printing out the message for EINPROGRESS,
"Operation now in progress". I suppose it is possible for errno and the
error code returned by getsockopt to be different in this part of the
code.

Does this assertion failure happen every time? If so, it would help if
you could send a packet capture created with tcpdump or a similar tool.

The assertion is 100% reproducible with that host. A packet capture (with tcpdump -vvv) is attached.

Another thing is to try "make distclean" and rebuilding. Recently there
were some problems with builds being out of sync in the nsock directory.

I tried it but I am still getting the same error. I also verified I get the same error on a x86 machine with that host.