Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Boolean Operators for --script (again)

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 00:50:09 -0700

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 06:52:11PM -0600, Patrick Donnelly wrote:
Attached is a patch similar to [1] that allows a user to specify
categories with boolean operators. The engine uses Lua to compile the
comma delimited "rules" and global variables to neatly achieve this.

Thanks Patrick!

Categories are still case insensitive but the boolean operators must
be lower case.

It is probably worth making these case insensitive too.  We can still
document them using the lower case form if that is preferred, but
there is no need to fail just because someone forgot whether to use
"NOT" or "not".

A couple examples:

Examples are great and I'm glad you included them.  But can you also
document the syntax?  It is a relatively simple grammar, so it doesn't
need to be long documentation.  But people need to know the operator
list, precedence rules, whether parenthetical expressions are allowed,
how they interact with comma-separated lists, allowed whitespace
rules, etc.  It is hard to focus on the high level when you're forced
to read the code patch to figure out how the new system works.  We'll
need such documentation when boolean ops are integrated anyway, so we
might as well write at least a draft of the syntax for now.

Thanks,
-F