Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Boolean Operators for --script (again)

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 15:00:08 -0600

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 11:53:13PM -0600, Patrick Donnelly wrote:
On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 12:28 AM, David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com> wrote:
Please make another version of the patch that
 1) Puts script.db entries on a single line,
 2) Fixes the duplicate running scripts (just a simple matter of
   updating files_loaded I think),
 3) Uses the user's typed expression in syntax error messages,
 4) Removes special handling of version, and
 5) Does whatever you think is best for textual substitution of
   expressions '__["a"]' 'm("a")'. That part of code is tricky so it
   needs good comments too.

I've added all of the above and also quite a few comments.
Additionally, I made a change to have each rule precompiled
(invariant) outside the Entry function.

Looks great, I like it. Please check it in. In the CHANGELOG describe
the new feature and mention that script.db is different.

The new ability has to be documented in scripting.xml as well. I think
it should go in a new short section above "Arguments to Scripts"
(http://nmap.org/book/nse-usage.html#nse-args). Do you want to write a
draft of that section and check it in? It doesn't have to be more than a
paragraph, really. It should have a couple of examples. It should say
that complex script selection strings have to be quoted from the shell.

David Fifield