Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Issue with scanning in Vista

From: "Rob Nicholls" <robert () everythingeverything co uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 15:45:33 -0000 (UTC)

Can you provide a --packet-trace from the Linux host?

I thought I'd try it myself after I remembered the IP address was in your
previous log and it turns out I can see an ICMP echo reply on XP:

RCVD (0.7970s) ICMP 125.60.241.186 > 192.168.x.x echo reply
(type=0/code=0) ttl=46 id=61282 iplen=28
Host 125.60.241.186 appears to be up.

If I try it from my Vista host I get the same response, an ICMP echo reply.

This suggests that something is preventing ICMP echo replies from reaching
your Vista host. The Windows Firewall will not prevent ICMP echo replies
from reaching the host even when the firewall is set to "block all
incoming connections" (as long as you initiate the ICMP echo request) so
I'm at a bit of a loss as to why you're presumably not seeing that echo
reply.

What do you get if you use Vista's ping command to ping the host? If ICMP
traffic is being filtered by something (although I don't know what it
might be) then you shouldn't get a reply using Vista's ping utility either
(if you get a reply, but Nmap doesn't, then that suggests something might
be wrong with Nmap).

Rob