Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Issue with scanning in Vista

From: "Rob Nicholls" <robert () everythingeverything co uk>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 13:58:06 -0000 (UTC)

Here is the log from my Vista computer

Looking at the traffic you've provided, Nmap(/WinPcap) never sees any
response from the host, which is why it assumes it is down.

My XP computer is out of action now. I'm not sure when I'll be able to use
it again. I'd just like to get the problem fixed on my Vista computer.

Having the XP results would allow us to compare any differences in network
traffic (i.e. see what responses are sent back to the XP host that makes
Nmap think the host is up).

It may help if you can indicate whether you have any third party software
that might affect the Vista results (e.g. firewall, VPN software).

For instance, I've seen issues in the past where a host on the internet
responded to ICMP echo requests with a private IP address, which the VPN
software (even when it had been "stopped") prevented WinPcap from seeing
the packets, so Nmap (and even Windows) didn't see the response, but a
Linux host plugged into the same hub was able to see it okay.

Rob