Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nselib-bin

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 23:55:24 -0600

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 12:02:29PM +0100, jah wrote:
What's happening with nselib-bin?  I ask because I see it's now static
linked, and I'm seeing some build and runtime errors because of this change.

Specifically, mswin32/Release/nselib-bin (created by a post build event
in nse_bitlib.vcproj) is referenced in mswin32/makefile and because it
doesn't exist, halts the build.
Next, mswin32/nsi/nmap.nsi references nselib-bin and fails when it's not
present.
During script execution:
SCRIPT ENGINE: error while initializing Lua State:
'nselib-bin/' not a directory

Thanks for these reports. We were keeping the directory around while we
made sure the static linking worked, but it's gone now (I just removed
it).

There are two files left that refer to newlib-bin. I haven't removed the
references from them because I don't have a Windows machine right now
and I can't test the changes.

In mswin32/nsis/Nmap.nsi I removed the line that installed the
nselib-bin directory, however I left in the lines that remove it on
uninstallation. The reason for that is I worried that the
C:\Program Files\Nmap directory wouldn't be fully removed when upgrading
and the installer would get a message that it's unsafe to install. I
would appreciate it if someone could try it out. Remove the lines that
say
          RMDir /r "$INSTDIR\nselib-bin"
and try running the installer with the C:\Program Files\Nmap\nselib-bin
directory present.

mswin32/nmap.sln still refers to nse_bitlib and nselib-bin. It's
probably safest to edit that file with Visual Studio.

David Fifield