Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Ncat: Update and Feature Request

From: Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 21:18:47 -0500

Aaron Leininger wrote:
 > So, while keeping in mind wanting to have an easy-to-maintain and non-bloated
Ncat, what other features would you like to see?  Do you see any improvements
that could/should be made on existing features?

Here's my initial feedback and reactions..
First off: I'm running on Debian 4.0 on i686 architecture...

./configure gave a warning about not finding ssl.h. I ran make and it compiled fine w/o ssl support.

Did you run configure with --without-openssl ?  I've been having issues
building Ncat like this, but it's because of some error I'm getting out of my
standard headers rather than any obvious connection to OpenSSL, but this could
just be my system.

* I had to manually copy the file to /usr/bin.

I have not worried about the install system for Ncat yet as it will be shipped
along with Nmap.  However see below for more comments on this.

* running ncat w/o any arguments reports that I need a host to connect to and it quits. I'd recommend adding
something like:
run: ncat -h for usage

Good idea.

*I wanted to try out the http proxy stuff but when I typed: man ncat, I got: No manual entry for ncat
Yet ncat -h says to see the man page for more details. How do I access it? I checked google(search terms: ncat
manpage) and didn't see anything that looked like it.

Did you run "make install" when you built Ncat?  That should install Ncat and
the man pages correctly, but right now I've only been focusing on making Ncat
function correctly and I'll worry about the install system when I merge it
with Nmap's.

*I looked at the -h output and tried to guess the correct syntax for the http-proxy stuff. (name of proxy changed to
protect the innocent ;-p)
I ran: ncat -v --proxy myproxy:8080 www.google.com 80
I figured that would attempt a connection to www.google.com on port 80 and let me pull down a get request using
myproxy port 8080 but I got:
Ncat: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused.
That is the same output I get if I do not specify a proxy. I sit behind one where I am testing so I can't get to
external websites w/o it.

Next I ran the same commands on an internal web-server. Below are the results:
ncat myserver 80
  GET / HTTP/1.0
<returned correct html content>

ncat --http-proxy myproxy:8080 myserver 80
I got the same output as w/o the proxy but I did not have to issue the GET command myself. It seemed to issue it
automatically and returned me the output as if I had issued the GET command from above.

I'm not sure why it didn't work when I tried it on an external site such as google.

Maybe you need authentication to connect outside?  You can use --proxy-auth
for this.  From the man page residing in docs/man/ncat.1, the syntax for proxy
auth is "<username>:<password>"

Or maybe the proxy support is broken somehow?  I'll be looking into the
proxies shortly.

I hope some of this is useful to you.

It is, thank you.

* Next, I went and found that nmap 4.68 ships w/ ssl.h so I told the ./configure to use nmap's include folder for
that file. ncat configured successfully but then would not make. Below is the end of the make output:
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lssl
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [ncat] Error 1

Are you referring to mswin32/OpenSSL ?  That contains OpenSSL headers and
libraries for Windows only, not for any other OS.

Am I missing a package? Can you see anything else I can correct to get ssl support working? Let me know if you need
the configure or make output in full, I can attach them.

It looks like you're missing the package. On my Ubuntu box I have libssl-dev
installed; do you have it (or a *very* close relative) on your Debian box?

Anyway, I hope some of this proves useful. Thanks for all your work!
Aaron

Thanks a lot,
Kris Katterjohn