Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Ncat: Update and Feature Request

From: Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 20:59:40 -0500

Dirk Loss wrote:
Hi Kris,

some quick remarks:

I had to install the libpcap development libraries in order to compile
the SVN trunk successfully on my Ubuntu 8.04.1 box. Is it planned to
include them (as in Nmap)?

Yes.  Ncat will be (according to current plans) shipped with Nmap, and thus
will share all of it's shipped libraries.  Sorry about not having it available
yet.

Features I really like: traffic redirection, connection brokering and
HTTP proxy support. Well done!

Thanks goes to Chris as these features were already available when I began
work on Ncat; I'm just working on improving and/or finishing them :)

New feature suggestion: Simple password-based symmetric encryption (-k
<secret>) for ad-hoc cases where generating and exchanging SSL
certificates is not handy.

One of the items[1] planned is:

"Channel must support optional authentication and encryption, maybe through
the OpenSSL support. Needs to be simple but secure -- we're not talking about
reimplementing OpenSSH here. Should be as simple to use as specifying a
password -- user should not have to manually generate SSL keys on both sides
or anything."

Which seems to work out quite nicely.  So good idea :)

Regards
Dirk

Thanks a lot,
Kris Katterjohn