Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: Ncat: Update and Feature Request

From: Aaron Leininger <rilian4 () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 08:38:10 -0700

./configure gave a warning about not finding ssl.h. I ran make and it compiled fine w/o ssl support.

Did you run configure with --without-openssl ?  I've been having issues
building Ncat like this, but it's because of some error I'm getting out of my
standard headers rather than any obvious connection to OpenSSL, but this could
just be my system.
I actually ran ./configure w/o any options and got a message from make saying ssl support was disabled...

*I wanted to try out the http proxy stuff but when I typed: man ncat, I got: No manual entry for ncat
Yet ncat -h says to see the man page for more details. How do I access it? I checked google(search terms: ncat
manpage) and didn't see anything that looked like it.

Did you run "make install" when you built Ncat?  That should install Ncat and
the man pages correctly, but right now I've only been focusing on making Ncat
function correctly and I'll worry about the install system when I merge it
with Nmap's.
As a matter of fact, I did run make install. I ended up copying ncat.1 out of your docs/man/ folder to the same spot as
nmap's man page and it worked after that.
I ran man -w nmap to find the location. It came back /usr/local/man/man1/nmap.1

I'm not sure why it didn't work when I tried it on an external site such as google.

Maybe you need authentication to connect outside?  You can use --proxy-auth
for this.  From the man page residing in docs/man/ncat.1, the syntax for proxy
auth is "<username>:<password>"
We run our authenticated proxy off of port 3128..less restricted. port 8080 requires no auth but more restricted...but
I know google is not blocked; that's why I chose it as a test.
I ran the following command to test your proxy-auth syntax:
$ncat --http-proxy myproxy:3128 --proxy-auth user:pass www.google.com 80
result was: Segmentation Fault.
Did I do something wrong with the syntax?

Am I missing a package? Can you see anything else I can correct to get ssl support working? Let me know if you need
the configure or make output in full, I can attach them.

It looks like you're missing the package. On my Ubuntu box I have libssl-dev
installed; do you have it (or a *very* close relative) on your Debian box?
Good catch. No I did not. I installed libssl-dev through apt-get and ran:
$./configure
$make
$sudo make install
No errors about SSL this time. I copied the new binary to /usr/bin and still no manpage...this is where I figured out
how to manually copy the man page, as I described above, so that '$man ncat' now works.

One more thing I will add is that ncat -h does not show the -ssl option though it is listed in the man page.

Thanks again for your work and hopefully some of this is helpful.
-Aaron