Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Can't build NMAP 4.60 on opensuse 10.3

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 20:56:23 -0600

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 05:33:54PM -0400, Louis Davidson wrote:
I have tried to install NMAP 4.60 in a Linux box, and there are so many
dependent programs needed and not mentioned in the docs that in my opinion
they want you to really become a NMAP hacker, by locating and installing the
dependent programs. If I succeed I will let you know.
The (http://nmap.org command just shows me a >

Maybe you typed the command wrong? I don't know for sure what you mean
by "http://nmap.org command," but if it's the "nmap -v -A targethost" on
that page, you need to be sure to enter the command without the
quotation marks. Try entering exactly

nmap -v -A scanme.nmap.org

If by mistake you entered the first quote but not the second, you would
see a ">", but that's not Nmap, that's the command shell waiting for you
to close the string.

Maybe that's not the problem. Try running the command with a high level
of debugging:

nmap -d4 -A scanme.nmap.org

If that produces output before it hangs, please send it to the list so
we can help solve the problem.

David Fifield