Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap Issues/ Suggestoins / Question

From: Alan Jones <alan () ajsquared us>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 19:59:53 -0500

Fyodor wrote:
On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 08:05:58PM -0600, Alan Jones wrote:

-- It would be really really nice if Nmap would report all IP addresses
that a name resolves to not just one address.  What If I wanted to know
the second address (or 3rd) address so I could scan that?

Hi Alan!  Perhaps you are right that Nmap should report the other
non-scanned addresses (at least in the XML or in verbose mode).  But
for now, 'host' does the trick pretty easily:

Fyodor,  thanks for the fast response and sorry about the slow response
from my end.

I wish I was a better programmer... as this does not sound like it would
be that hard a patch for someone to contribute.  And i do think that
Nmap would benefit from reporting all the IP addresses it finds (verbose
and XML motes) when it looks up a host even if it only scans one.  When
doing general checks I don't always bother to use other tools when i am
doing test scans of our local network.

flog> host microsoft.com
microsoft.com has address 207.46.197.32
microsoft.com has address 207.46.232.182

FYI on Windows that would be nslookup not the host command.

--The problem I had though was Nmap said it would scan the address it
reported and resolved from the name of the two but it did not finish the
scan and report anything.

Hmmm ... it certainly should finish!  We would need more details to investigate.

Now I am more confused... tried on Monday and Tuesday at the office and
it scanned just fine... Only thing I noticed was Nmap caught the gig NIC
first and scanned it and not the wireless NIC.

Within a week, I hope!  I've been doing submission integration
constantly over the last few days and have checked my latest updates
into SVN.  I am currently working on submission #252 out of 1,014 and
I'm trying to do at least 100-200 per day.

Wow 100-200 a day!!

I guess some of those will be redundant.....

thanks for all the info and help.

Alan